Sunday, July 5, 2009

I hate making new friends. Not because I don't like new people but because I like people. A lot.

And I want them to like me. A lot.

Which makes me nervous. I want them to like me. So I over analyze myself into a paralysis and generally ask myself questions like, "was that funny?" or "do they like me?" or usually "why did I say that?"

I won't list all the stupid things I've said so far because I embarrassed myself once and that was enough. In the future I will stick to politically neutral jokes, no references to Kurt Vonnegut since no one seems to know who he is, and less family stories. Because not everyone understands my sense of humor in reference to divorce and broken homes.

6 comments:

Meg said...

Tell them Kurt is your dad. If they're confused, might as well make them really confused.

stevesie said...

carolinans don't know about trafalmadore? i agree with you on the meg ryan thing.

allyson elizabeth said...

The old confuse-them-until-they-think-they-love-you. Classic Jon.

Rach said...

Ten Things That Make Allyson Awesome:

1. She's incredibly witty, and her sarcasm makes me giggle, even when I read it online.

2. She has excellent taste. Not just in clothes. Not just in decor. Not just in music. Not just in food. You name it, she rocks it.

3. Speaking of food? The woman can cook. She makes veggies even sound appealing to me.

4. She has one of the biggest hearts I've ever had the privilege to know.

5. She manages to fit that ginormous heart into a tiny body.

6. She's a dedicated daughter, eternally and mortally.

7. She's one of the best friends a person could ever have. When she comes to town, she brings people together who haven't seen each other in years.. and yet who are all happy, just because she's around.

8. I remember when she wore five million different bracelets and her hair permanently in a pony-tail.. but don't doubt she was still beautiful.

9. She would love to devote her life to serving others around her, and making them happy. Fame and money are cool, but she's real.

10. She touches the lives of those around her day in and day out without even realizing it. She acts with humility and love, and makes the world a better place just by existing.

Rachael said...

you mean "it's because i'm from a broken home" didn't go over well? psh, what kind of people are they?!?!

morganne blair witchfield said...

well if its any consolation,, you're one of my only female friends. turns out girls don't really wanna hear about genitals and siblings-in-jail all the time.


bFf FoR eVaS!i!i!i