Thursday, August 18, 2011


In elementary schools, I participated in Odyssey of the Mind. If pressed to explain it with words, it most closely resembles an acid flashback, or a very happy form of PTSD. Think: me in a carrot costume, blood cells inside the human body made from plates and paper mache, a giant Hershey’s bar spouting smoke, fracture fairy tales, me as a giant sock – add in singing and a childish lack of inhibitions, and a robot that WE  BUILT in fifth grade.

Could a picture better describe it?



Yeah, there we go.

I found myself humming, “Achy Breaky Heart,” a song we used in one of our skits.  All I remember is dressing up like a penguin and singing “Achy Breaky Heart” with some minor zoologically appropriate changes – Don’t break my heart, my achy breaky heart, I just don’t think I’d understand. But if you break my heart, my achy breaky heart, I can’t get my fish out of the sea. I don’t know the lyrics to the actual song, just that version.. I don’t want to know, either – because no country music star can top three second graders dressed as penguins performing the song in front of a bunch of confused adults in some Midwestern high school classroom.

7 comments:

Laura Jones said...

I remember Odyssey of the Mind. I never participated because was never one of the "smart kids" in my grade (that and my mother wasn't all that involved). Is that you in the picture?

allyson elizabeth said...

No, I'm sure I could find some pictures of me as any number of fruits/animals. I don't know if our team were smart kids, they seem like kids with too much energy and who talked a lot.

Shannon said...

I can totally see that. Always looked like fun. We didn't have it at one of my schools.

cate said...

You're living the Slim Good Body dream!

local towing said...

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to

- local towing | 24 hours towing service |24 hours road service

Anonymous said...

My youngest brother was in OM!
I loved going to his competitions and seeing all of the skits for their problem! Everything was so creative and I absolutely loved it! :D

Anonymous said...

Download captain america 2 : www.captainamerica2thewintersoldier.com/