When people ask me "How's the wedding going?" I know that they are just making small talk. Very few people want to hear the intimate details of the labels I plan on making for the food at the reception - generally I don't even want to think of it. But when they ask me that questions, here are a few of my responses:
- It's great.
- It's going well.
- Everyone has been so nice.
- It's completely changed my life. Them: Really. Me: No.
- I don't know, I haven't been thinking about it too much lately.
- I'm engaged???
- He's actually planning all of it. Them: Really. Me: No.
- Well, I've never planned a wedding before so as far as I'm concerned I've finished everything.
Some of these responses may not make me look like the blushing bride-to-be that I certainly try to portray. But then again, circumstances can only change your genetics and parent's influence so much. In response to that questions my mom has said:
- I have more pressing things to think about.
She also told me that she might strangle the next person who asks her, well-wishing as they may be.
We're open to any other suggestions about responses to this and other everyday and mundane questions.